The dog is man's best friend, and as his best friend the human being takes care of him in every way: he feeds him, cleanses him, bathes him and takes care of him. In return, the dog offers protection, companionship, fidelity and affection.
Dog hygiene is very important, not only to avoid bad odors at home but also to keep your furry friend free of external parasites, such as fleas and ticks, in addition to clean and fresh, although sometimes he seems not to enjoy much of the bath and be tedious for humans.
That's why in Animal Expert of we bring a list of Home remedies for fleas in dogs, so you can get rid of this annoying pest that affects your dog's health in a completely natural and economical way.
The fleas they hate citrus, so we offer three home remedies for fleas in dogs that you can prepare very easily at home:
- Rub your pet's fur with lemon, lime, orange or some other citrus fruit, that will keep fleas at bay.
- Boil a liter of water and add a few slices of lemon. Let cool overnight, and the next day spread the water throughout the dog's body, avoiding the snout and eyes. You do not need to bathe it later, but you must be aware of your dog's reaction. If you notice any discomfort>
Remedies with vinegar
Vinegar is very popular as anti-fleas, as the strong smell he kills them and drives them away. And there are endless benefits of apple cider vinegar, not only related to parasites, it also encourages hair shine, for example.
- Flea bath: You will need a cup of vinegar and a cup of liquid detergent>
Homemade flea collar
You probably know that there are these necklaces on the market. However, many owners avoid using them due to the strong smell of insecticide, so we present a way to prepare your own homemade, completely natural flea collar.
- Get rosemary or lavender essence, water and a handkerchief. Dilute the oil in water, moisten the handkerchief and tie it to your dog's neck. To reinforce the effect, mix a few drops of essence with olive oil and apply at the base of the dog's tail.
- Gather different essential oils: cedar, lavender, thyme, citronella, geranium and basil. Add one or two drops of each to a handkerchief and tie it on the dog's neck.
Both necklaces should be renewed every week, when the smell disappears.
The war against fleas should not only occur in the fur of the animal, but also it is important to protect the home to prevent the animal from being affected again, since fleas nest easily in slits, corners, beds and carpets. That is why we present several options:
- The wormwood: This European medicinal plant works as a natural insecticide. Plant a few shoots in the garden to keep fleas away, and place small bags filled with wormwood in different parts of the house.
- The salt: Spreading salt on the carpets of the house will kill fleas by drying the environment they need to grow. Leave for several days and then vacuum the area. Repeat for several weeks.
- The cedar chip: Place shavings inside the dog's bed, under furniture and in the corners. You can spread it directly or place it inside muslin bags. The smell drives fleas away. If you notice any negative reaction in your dog, withdraw immediately, as it could be allergic.
- Rosemary and lavender: Plant these herbs in your garden to ward off fleas and other insects.
If none of this works, don't wait any longer: go to your veterinarian To prescribe a spray, pipette or other flea treatment, remember that this parasite is harmful to your dog's health.
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for fleas in dogsWe recommend that you enter our section on Home Remedies.
Vinegar is a home flea remedy in the dog's bathroom
You can use flea apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar) so as not to stain your dog's fur.
At bath time, wash your dog with his usual shampoo. Then, without taking your dog out of the bathtub, simply spread a cup of vinegar through your dog's wet and drained hair, avoiding the eyes and snout area.
Let act on vinegar 5 minutes on your dog to kill as many fleas as possible, and rinse with water. Comb your dog with a fine spike metal comb and dry it normally.
Thank you very much for sharing this information. I'm starting to make the salt remedy for the house. Unfortunately, our pet died nine days ago, we couldn't even bathe him because of the conditions he was in.
VERY GOOD ARTICLE SEE US ABOUT THE PIPETTE BRAND PRODUCTS HOW TO DO THE HOMEMAKERS, I THANK YOU AND WISH YOU THE BEST, BLESSINGS.
very good recommendations
Maria Elena Barrera Figueroa says
Good Morning. Excellent page, I love recipes and natural remedies and homemade preparation. My pet is a poodle puppy of 1 year 10 months, my first experience with pet, it has not been easy the subject of feeding because of my inexperience, since I bought it he had digestive problems, hardly a veterinarian was right, I found different diagnoses with the same exam. Anyway, in the last two months I have dedicated myself to taking care of it with homemade recipes by researching in pages such as yours. Its page is clear, concrete and very useful. Thank you.